Time Warp Tuesdays
When I was in college at the University of Illinois one of the local bars had a theme night every week called “Time Warp Tuesday.” My friends and I were regulars and we would go there to socialize, have a few drinks and sing along to our favorite tunes that the DJ would play from the 1980′s. We each had “our song” and we would get very excited when it came on.
My song was “Cool it Now” by New Edition and I could (and still can) sing/rap almost every word to the song! I even won a trivia contest there one night for being able to name four of the five last names of the members of New Edition (I knew Bobby Brown, Ricky Bell, Mike Bivins and Ronnie DeVoe, but didn’t recall that Ralph’s last name was Tresvant). At some point during the evening the DJ would play “Time Warp” (the theme from the Rocky Horror Picture Show) and then near closing time, just before 1:00 a.m., they would play “Total Eclipse of the Heart” by Bonnie Tyler, usually followed by the theme from The Greatest American Hero television show “Believe it or Not” (remember that?).
I knew so many people that went to “Time Warp” every week, that often on Tuesdays when I had a lot of school work to get done, I would study down the block at a coffee shop and then around 11:00 p.m. I would head over to the bar by myself, with my backpack on and “do a lap.” I would stay as long as I saw people I knew and wanted to visit with, which often would last me until close (two hours later). It’s funny to reflect on this now, as these days I am usually in bed between 10:00 and 10:30 p.m. and asleep by 11:00 p.m. at the latest. Except for now and then when I give in to my natural tendency to be a night owl.
Anyway, I was in the shower recently, where I do some of my best thinking, and I had this idea for a “blog hop.” I have really enjoyed participating in a handful of blog hops over the years. Two of my favorites, each of which helped to inspire me to do this in their own way, are: Lori’s Perfect Moment Mondays (originally a weekly event, that went on hiatus this summer and will be returning on a monthly basis September 25th) and Mel’s Blogger Bingo (which I actually won the first round of back in September 2009). I have contemplated trying to host a blog hop in the past, but never felt like I had a worthy concept until now. This is my first go at it, so please bear with me and let me know if you have any feedback as I get this rolling. I will do my best to explain it here and I would LOVE for any and all of you to participate any and every week that you have the time and interest to do so.
I decided to use the title Time Warp Tuesday for this blog hop/writing exercise, inspired by that nostalgic event from my college days. On the Second Tuesday of the month I will share a topic, theme or question and you will have a month to browse through your old posts and/or other bloggers’ to find one that you think relates to it.
The idea is to revisit and share some of our favorite blog entries from our archives, as well as others’, and reflect on our journeys since we wrote or read them.
So after you choose one of your old blog entries or another blogger’s, write a new post in which you introduce the topic and the old post, link to the old post and write about how your situation and/or perspective may have changed since then.
As participants in the blog hop, after you write your post and link up here, I encourage you to click through to read and comment on other’s posts (both the new blog entries and the older ones that the other bloggers chose to link to).
My hope and intention in doing this is to help us all to realize how far we have come over the course of our blogging journeys (whether you have been writing online for 4 months, 4 years or more). I see it as a way to give us ideas and inspiration for new posts (in the spirit of Prompt-ly), as well as to encourage us to visit and comment more on other’s blogs while continuing to build and strengthen our community.
You do not need to be an Adoption, Loss and/or Infertility blogger to participate in this blog hop. You also do not have to participate every time to do this. You are welcome to join in this blog hop as often as you like, whether you post on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday each month or now and then.
1) Browse through your old blog entries or another blogger’s to find one that fits the topic for the given month. The topic is shared at the end of the previous topics’s “Time Warp Tuesday” post here on my blog.
2) Write a new blog post in which you introduce, link to and then reflect on your journey since you wrote or read the older blog post and put it up on your blog on Tuesday. Please include this link http://bereavedandblessed.com/projects-regular-series/time-warp-tuesdays/ in your blog entry, so your readers can find their way to my post with the list of other participants, in case they would like to read more or participate themselves.
3) Share the link to your new post here on Tuesday and then visit, read and comment on the other blogs.
4) After you have done all of these things, you are welcome to grab the code for the the Time Warp Tuesday button by clicking here and put it on your blog. The link will take you to a Google Doc where you can copy the code. If your browser does not allow access to your computer’s clipboard, you can use Ctrl-C for Copy and Ctrl-V for Paste, or use your browser’s Edit menu.
5) Check back here on the Second Tuesday of the month to find out the new topic, theme or question for the next month’s Time Warp Tuesday (I welcome your ideas and suggestions) and then return to Step 1 of this recap to participate.
Please let me know if you have any questions and I hope to see you back here on the Second Tuesday of every month when we’ll “do the time warp again!”
Here are links to the topics that we have reflected on via Time Warp Tuesdays so far:
- Waiting (September 27, 2011)
- All-Time Favorite Post (October 4, 2011)
- Song Lyrics (October 11, 2011)
- Heroes (October 18, 2011)
- Resolution (October 25, 2011)
- Comic Relief (November 1, 2011)
- Meet-Ups (November 8, 2011)
- Attention (November 15, 2011)
- Thanksgiving (November 22, 2011)
- Post Publishing Fear (December 6, 2011)
- Blogging (December 13, 2011)
- `Tis the Season (December 20, 2011)
- New Years (January 3, 2012)
- Turnaround (January 17, 2012)
- Comments Please (February 7, 2012)
- Blog Beginnings (February 21, 2012)
- Faith (March 13, 2012)
- Blogoversaries (April 10, 2012)
- Mothering (May 8, 2012)
- Fathering (June 12, 2012)
- Fear (July 10, 2012)
- Left Behind (August 14, 2012)
- 9/11 (September 11, 2012)
- Hope (October 8, 2012)
- Books (November 13, 2012)
- Gifts (December 11, 2012)
- Change (January 8, 2013)
- Heart (February 12, 2013)
- Luck (March 12, 2013)
- April (April 9, 2013)
- Cancer (May 14, 2013)
- Decisions (coming up on June 11, 2013)