The past week has been filled with researching my diagnosis, scheduling appointments, and touching base with medical staff, as well as our new insurance company. Because of course the year we are dealing with my first breast care scare, we have a brand new insurance plan and company.
This Friday morning I will have a bilateral breast MRI with and without contrast.
The main purpose being to get a better look at the small mass in my left breast that they were unable to biopsy (because of its size) on Friday, January 15th.
I have had one MRI before, though that was of my head (I wore a mask type thing over my face) and I was lying on my back. From what I was told, this one I will by lying on my stomach with my breast in some kind of receptacles.
After that, I have two appointments scheduled for next month with two different specialized breast surgeons.
One with be on Tuesday, February 16th, with the surgeon I was referred to through the Advocate Breast Care Center where I have received my testing and breast care thus far. I have heard wonderful things about this doctor, including from a friend who has had several surgeries performed by her.
The other will be on Monday, February 15th, with the head surgeon of the University of Chicago Breast Center. For the first time in my life, I decided to get a second opinion and she is that.
Another friend, who has personal experience with breast care scares themselves and with close family members, suggested I get another opinion and I took her advice. I do not question the judgement or abilities of those caring for me via the Advocate Breast Care Center. I do appreciate the reasons why it makes sense to get multiple opinions when receiving a fairly rare diagnosis and surgery under anesthesia is involved.
My understanding, if we go with Advocate, is that my surgery will be sometime in March. I have a few trips planned in early and mid-March, so depending on how soon the surgeons think this needs to happen (if they agree as to the plan of action), we may try to get it in before I leave. Though my preference, if my health and wellness is not in danger by waiting, will likely be to do it after Bob and I get back from our first cruise around St. Patrick’s Day.
I realize that this type of tumor, though not apparently cancerous, can be fast growing and can recur. So those two factors, along with learning the results of Friday’s MRI are my biggest concerns.
I am confident in the medical care and recommendations I am getting.
I wish these consultation appointments could’ve been scheduled to take place sooner. However, I have been told both surgeons are in high demand and I had to be “squeezed” in to their schedules to begin with.
I feel grateful that our new insurance covers second opinions and I look forward to finding out if these two specialized breast surgeons see my diagnosis and treatment in the same way.
I will certainly keep you posted.
And an update on my loved one who was also facing a cancer scare, the more we learn the more their situation seems to get better. Cancer is off the table, as well as a few other things we were concerned about. So that is a huge relief.
Please continue to send your positive thoughts and prayers. I am being brave and doing what I can to remain calm and optimistic during this uncertain time.